See something worth saving? Register now to save all your favourite recipes to one place.
Remember you must be logged in to use MyCookbook
Tips and Tricks
Find out great tips and tricks to help create that perfect dish... Read More
Coq au vin by Jean-Christophe Novelli on Classic Hits 4FM
by Jean-Christophe Novelli on Classic Hits 4FM
- 4 part boned chicken breasts
- 2 Med sliced onions
- 1tbsp Cumin seeds
- 125g bacon lardons
- ¾tsp Organic cocoa powder
- 1tsp Smoked paprika
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 2-3tbsp clear honey or brown sugar
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Divide the chicken breast in half.
- Season with salt and pepper and dust with paprika. Add enough olive oil to coat and leave to infuse for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a heavy based pan up and carefully place in the pieces of chicken add the bay leaf,thyme, garlic and the star anise.
- Fry on both sides until golden and evenly coloured. Remove from the pan with the garlic, herbs and spice.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and then sweat down until soft, add the bacon lardons and cook over a medium heat until the bacon begins to brown, add the cocoa powder and mix in.
- Return the chicken pieces and herbs etc. To the pan and combine.
- Sprinkle enough flour to absorb any fat residue and form a basic roux.
- Stir in the wine and ensure there are no lumps and the sauce is just thickened.
- Adjust the acidity of the wine with the honey.
- Bring to a simmer and remove any impurities that rise to the surface.
- Place the lid on and cook for 40 minutes at160 degrees C
- Finish with a good dousing of olive oil. Serve with baby potatoes cooked in stock then place inthe chicken dish for 5-10 minutes